Pure Niobium Cube unlocked!
Each Niobium cube is machined with precision to 10x10x10mm (0.39in) for 1 cm3 and highly polished by hand for hours to reach a mirror finish. Laser engraved! This is an heirloom piece that will last forever.
Niobium, also known as columbium, is a chemical element with the symbol Nb (formerly Cb) and atomic number 41. Here are some interesting facts:
- It was discovered by Charles Hatchett in 1801.
- It is a light grey, crystalline, and ductile transition metal.
- Pure niobium has a Mohs hardness rating similar to that of pure titanium, and it has similar ductility to iron.
- Its name comes from Greek mythology, specifically Niobe, who was the daughter of Tantalus, the namesake of tantalum. The name reflects the great similarity between the two elements in their physical and chemical properties, making them difficult to distinguish.
- Niobium and tantalum are nearly always found together in nature, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). They are interesting "indispensable twins".
- It was not until the early 20th century that niobium was first used commercially. Brazil is the leading producer of niobium and ferroniobium, an alloy of 60–70% niobium with iron.
- It is used in various superconducting materials, welding, nuclear industries, electronics, optics, numismatics, and jewelry.
- It is physiologically inert and hypoallergenic, used in prosthetic and implant devices, such as pacemakers.
- Size: 10x10x10mm
- Sample Purity: 99.9%
- Density: 8.57g/cm3
- Weight: 8.57g
Each cube comes with a display case.
Polar Metals seeks to spice up your life with interesting and unusual metals in unexpected ways. So far, we have brought 25 Elements to you: Silver, Silicon, Germanium, Nickel, Chromium, Zinc, Niobium, Tantalum, Hafnium, Rhenium, Thulium, Lutetium, Scandium, Ruthenium, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, Iridium, Titanium, Cobalt, Copper Aluminum, Carbon, Iron, and Tungsten.
*Note: Please wear gloves when handling.