Pure Rhenium Cube unlocked!
Each Rhenium cube is machined with precision to 10x10x10mm (0.39in) for 1 cm3 and highly polished by hand for hours to reach a mirror finish. Laser engraved! This is an heirloom piece that will last forever.
Made of high purity 99.99% Rhenium sheets, our Rhenium cube is about 20.5g/cm3. (The Rhenium sheet could reach the theoretical density (21.04g/cm3) with the hot isostatic pressing process, but the cost is surprisingly high.)
Rhenium is a chemical element with the symbol Re and atomic number 75. Here are some interesting facts:
- Discovered by Walter Noddack, Ida Noddack, and Otto Berg in 1925, it is the last stable element to be discovered. It was named after the river Rhine in Europe.
- It is a silvery-gray, heavy, third-row transition metal.
- With an estimated average concentration of 1 part per billion (ppb), rhenium is one of the rarest elements in the Earth's crust.
- It has the highest boiling point (5630 °C, 10,170 °F) and the third-highest melting point (3186 °C, 5767 °F) of any stable element, widely used in jet engines.
- It resembles manganese and technetium chemically and is mainly obtained as a by-product of the extraction and refinement of molybdenum and copper ores.
- About 70% of the worldwide rhenium production is added to high-temperature superalloys that are used to make jet engine parts.
- It is also used in platinum–rhenium catalysts, which are primarily used in making lead-free, high-octane gasoline.
- Size: 10x10x10mm
- Sample Purity: 99.99%
- Density: 21.04g/cm3
- Weight: 20~20.5g
Each cube comes with a display case.
Polar Metals seeks to spice up your life with interesting and unusual metals in unexpected ways. So far, we have brought 25 Elements to you: Silver, Silicon, Germanium, Nickel, Chromium, Zinc, Niobium, Tantalum, Hafnium, Rhenium, Thulium, Lutetium, Scandium, Ruthenium, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, Iridium, Titanium, Cobalt, Copper Aluminum, Carbon, Iron, and Tungsten.
*Note: Please wear gloves when handling.