Pure Tantalum Cube unlocked!
Each Tantalum cube is machined with precision to 10x10x10mm (0.39in) for 1 cm3 and highly polished by hand for hours to reach a mirror finish. Laser engraved! This is an heirloom piece that will last forever.
Tantalum is a chemical element with the symbol Ta and atomic number 73. Here are some interesting facts:
- It was discovered by Anders Gustaf Ekeberg in 1802.
- Tantalum is a rare, hard, blue-gray, lustrous transition metal that is highly corrosion-resistant.
- It is one of the refractory metals (highly resistant to heat and wear). Its melting point (5463 °F) is exceeded only by tungsten and rhenium.
- The chemical inertness of tantalum makes it a valuable substance for laboratory equipment, and as a substitute for platinum.
- Its name was derived from the name of the mythological Tantalus, the father of Niobe in Greek mythology. In the story, he had been punished after death by being condemned to stand knee-deep in water with perfect fruit growing above his head, both of which eternally tantalized him. Anders Ekeberg wrote, "This metal I call tantalum ... partly in allusion to its incapacity when immersed in acid, to absorb any and be saturated."
- Tantalum and Niobium are nearly always found together in nature, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). They are interesting "indispensable twins".
- Size: 10x10x10mm
- Sample Purity: 99.9%
- Density: 16.65g/cm3
- Weight: 16.65g
Each cube comes with a display case.
Polar Metals seeks to spice up your life with interesting and unusual metals in unexpected ways. So far, we have brought 25 Elements to you: Silver, Silicon, Germanium, Nickel, Chromium, Zinc, Niobium, Tantalum, Hafnium, Rhenium, Thulium, Lutetium, Scandium, Ruthenium, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, Iridium, Titanium, Cobalt, Copper Aluminum, Carbon, Iron, and Tungsten.
*Note: Please wear gloves when handling.