Pure Germanium Cube unlocked!
Each Germanium cube is machined with precision to 10x10x10mm (0.39in) for 1 cm3 and highly polished by hand for hours to reach a mirror finish.Laser engraved! This is an heirloom piece that will last forever.
Germanium is a chemical element with the symbol Ge and atomic number 32. Here are some interesting facts:
- Germanium is discovered by Clemens Winkler in 1886.
- A lustrous, hard-brittle, grayish-white metalloid in the carbon group, chemically similar to its group neighbors silicon and tin.
- It is not thought to be an essential element for any living organism.
- Like silicon, germanium naturally reacts and forms complexes with oxygen in nature.
- Germanium oxide has a high index of refraction and dispersion. This makes it suitable for use in wide-angle camera lenses and objective lenses for microscopes.
- Pure germanium is a semiconductor with an appearance similar to elemental silicon. Historically, the first decade of semiconductor electronics was based entirely on germanium.
Presently, the major end uses are fibre-optic systems, infrared optics, solar cell applications, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
Polar Metals seeks tospice up your life with interesting and unusual metals in unexpected ways. So far, we have brought25 Elements to you: Silver, Silicon, Germanium, Nickel, Chromium, Zinc, Niobium, Tantalum, Hafnium, Rhenium, Thulium, Lutetium, Scandium, Ruthenium, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, Iridium, Titanium, Cobalt, Copper Aluminum, Carbon, Iron and Tungsten.
*Note: Please wear gloves when handling.